Hessle Travel

Latest Travel News

Thomson Holidays to be sued by the families of Tunisian massacre

Tui looks set to be sued by the families of those killed in the Tunisia terror attack last year, who believe the travel giant should have provided more warning about the risk of terrorism.

A preliminary hearing was heard yesterday at the Royal Courts of Justice, with a representative of the relatives stating that there were “likely to be civil claims” in the future, Sky News said.

The court reportedly heard that families were concerned about the lack of warning given to victims about the likelihood of a terrorist incident in Tunisia.

They have suggested that the companies put in place a “traffic light system” in brochures that would highlight the risk of terrorism in destinations around the world.

Andrew Ritchie QC, who is representing 16 families, said: "They are very concerned that Tui and the travel industry in England and Wales are still involved in a general practice which puts customers at risk by hiding or ignoring Foreign Office warnings in their brochures and booking forms,” Sky News reported.

There were also allegations in court that some customers had been sold travel insurance which would not cover cancellations related to the risk of a terror attack.

Meanwhile claims were made that some travellers had been discouraged from cancelling trips which could have been potentially dangerous because of financial penalties. 

Tui’s QC Hoard Stevens labelled the allegations “contitious” and said that the firm disputed them.

A 3D computer will reportedly be created of the hotel and beach in Sousse where the gunman opened fire.

A total of 38 people – 33 of whom were Tui customers – were killed in the attack.

The inquests have been pushed back until January 16 2017, as the coroner admitted there was still an “enormous amount” of work to do in preparing for the proceedings, which are expected to last between six and eight weeks.

Another pre-inquest hearing is expected to be held on May 25.


Back to Home